When you are involved in a traffic accident, it may be difficult to think clearly. You have just been given a severe jolt, at the very least, so it is natural to be a little confused and stunned. Unfortunately, there is vital information that you need to remember that can help your personal injury attorney as he investigates the crash to identify liable parties and gather evidence to prove fault.
Obviously, your first concern should be seeking medical care for your injuries. Your medical treatment and recovery are your top priority. However, it can be beneficial if you remember to write down certain information immediately after a crash while it is still fresh on your mind.
To help you remember what information you need after a wreck, you may want to make a list of the following ten items and keep several copies in each of your vehicles. It is much easier to answer pre-printed questions than it is to try to remember what information you need to write down after a car crash.
Car Crash Questions to Ask Yourself
- What was the date and time of the traffic accident?
- What is the street address where the accident occurred?
- What were the weather conditions immediately before and at the time of the crash?
- What direction were you driving when the collision occurred?
- How did the accident happen? Can you draw a simple diagram to go with your explanation?
- What are the names and contact information of the other drivers involved in the crash?
- What is the insurance information for the other drivers involved in the wreck?
- What type of vehicles were involved in the crash (e. model, color, tag number, etc.)?
- Were there any eyewitnesses? Did you get their names and contact information?
- What were the road conditions and traffic conditions at the time of the accident?
You should also leave room to add other notes for information you may want to remember or you believe is important.
Do Not Give This List to The Insurance Company — This List is For Your Attorney
Your notes should remain private until you meet with your Erie accident attorney. These notes are for your private use. You should not give the notes to an insurance adjuster or another representative. The list is simply to help you remember important facts after a car accident and to help your attorney as he investigates what caused the wreck.
Call an Erie Accident Attorney for Help
It can be difficult to know what you should do after a traffic accident, especially if you have never been involved in a wreck until now. Our Erie accident attorney has experience handling accident claims. We can help guide you through each step in the claims process in addition to providing you with competent legal advice and support when you need it the most.
Let us help you recover the compensation you deserve after a negligent driver causes you to be injured in a crash. Contact The Travis Law Firm by calling (800) 401-2066 to schedule a free legal consultation with an Erie accident attorney. Learn about your legal rights and your options to receive money for your claim during your free visit.