Slips and Falls and Common Injuries That Occur
Slip and fall accidents are some of the most common types of personal injury claims, with victims often suffering serious injury. These accidents may occur on public or private property due to a variety of causes including slippery surfaces, cracked sidewalks, improperly maintained stairs or inadequate lighting. Common injuries from slip and fall accidents include:
- Broken bones: Falls can cause broken bones, such as wrist fractures or a fractured hip. While some of these types of injuries heal well within about six weeks, complications can cause permanent disability and require extensive medical treatment.
- Sprains and strains: Muscles or ligaments in the neck, shoulder, or lower body can become injured in a fall. This is a common cause of lost work, and some conditions become chronic.
- Head injuries: Slips and falls may result in serious head injuries, such as concussions or traumatic brain injury, which can result in a permanent change in cognitive ability or even lead to death.
- Back injuries: Victims may suffer from slipped or herniated discs, muscle strains, and other back injuries, which can cause permanent pain and disability.
- Spinal cord injuries: Falls can cause serious spinal cord damage that may lead to lifelong complications such as paralysis.
- Soft tissue injuries: Falls can also cause soft tissue damage such as bruises, cuts, and scrapes.
- Torn ligaments or tendons: Falls may also lead to ligament or tendon tears, which can require surgery.
- Internal organ damage: It is possible to suffer internal organ damage in slip and fall accidents such as to the spleen.
Recovering Fair Compensation With the Help of a Pennsylvania Injury Lawyer
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, it is important to hire an experienced Pennsylvania lawyer who can help you recover compensation. A qualified attorney will be able to look at the circumstances of your accident, determine whether another party is at fault, and negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. However, remember the two-year statute of limitations on filing an injury claim means that getting started as soon as possible is a good idea.
A Pennsylvania lawyer can help you obtain compensation for medical bills, lost wages due to time off of work, pain and suffering, and any other losses that occurred as a result of your accident. If needed, an experienced attorney will also be able to provide expert testimony and evidence to support your claim. Your lawyer will also be able to evaluate any settlement offers from the opposing party’s insurers to ensure that you are receiving a fair amount of compensation for your injuries. If necessary, an attorney may also be able to initiate legal action on your behalf to seek further damages such as punitive or exemplary damages.
Travis Law Firm: Injury Accident Lawyers
Let the Travis Law Firm provide you with free legal insight following a slip and fall accident. In the event of an accident, we can review your case, investigate it and assist you with your compensation claim. You can schedule a free case review by calling us at (814) 277-4444. For your convenience, you can also contact us online.