Important Pennsylvania DUI Defense Tactics
Why Good Defense Tactics Are Important in a DUI Case
If you have been charged with DUI (Driving Under the Influence) in Pennsylvania, it is important to hire an attorney with strong defense tactics that can be used to fight your charges. Some of the important DUI defense tactics in Pennsylvania include:
- Challenging the validity of the traffic stop: The police must have a valid reason to pull you over. If the officer did not reasonably suspect that you were breaking the law, any evidence gathered after the stop might be suppressed.
- Challenging the accuracy of the field sobriety tests: The standard field sobriety tests (FSTs) used by police officers are subjective and not always accurate. Your attorney may be able to challenge the validity of the tests and argue that your performance was affected by other factors.
- Challenging the results of the blood or breath test: The accuracy of chemical tests for blood alcohol content (BAC) can be challenged. Your attorney may be able to argue that the test results were affected by a medical condition, an improperly calibrated machine, or other factors.
- Proving that the police violated your rights: If the police obtained evidence violating your constitutional rights, such as through an illegal search or seizure, that evidence may be suppressed.
- Presenting evidence of a rising BAC: Your attorney may be able to present evidence that your BAC was below the legal limit at the time of driving, but increased to above the legal limit by the time you took the chemical test.
- Arguing that your driving was not impaired: Your attorney may be able to argue that your driving was not impaired, even if your BAC was above the legal limit.
- Negotiating a plea bargain: In some cases, it may be beneficial to negotiate a plea bargain to a lesser charge or reduced sentence.
Why Is It Important That I Have a DUI Defense Attorney?
By working with an experienced attorney, you will receive comprehensive and aggressive representation to help you obtain the best possible outcome in your DUI case. An attorney will evaluate all relevant evidence, such as field sobriety tests, blood alcohol concentration (BAC) results, police reports, witness statements and other factors to determine if any of your rights were violated during the arrest or if any mitigating circumstances can be used to have the charges reduced or dismissed.
Benefits of Having an Attorney to Represent You
Having an experienced DUI attorney with strong defense tactics to represent your interests can be the difference between a positive outcome and one that results in severe penalties, such as jail time, fines, license suspension or revocation. In addition, being convicted of a DUI offense can significantly damage your reputation and future job prospects. A qualified defense attorney can help protect your rights, minimize the potential consequences and provide you with a better chance of achieving a beneficial outcome in your case. Having an experienced DUI defense attorney on your side throughout the legal process will give you peace of mind that you are in good hands.
The Travis Law Firm
The attorneys at Travis Law Firm are experienced in successfully handling DUI defense cases to have the charges lowered or even dropped entirely. If you were arrested and face DUI charges, call us at (814) 277-2222 for a free case review to find out how we can help you. We can be reached online also.