Do you plan to travel this summer for business or pleasure? If so, you need to be aware of something that occurs more often than you believe in hotels, resorts, and motels — slip and fall accidents.
Hotels, motels, and resorts owe a duty of care to their guests and visitors. They must provide a safe environment for their guests and visitors. Failing to provide a safe environment due to negligence is a breach of this duty. When a hotel breaches its duty of care, an accident victim can receive compensation for injuries sustained in a hotel slip and fall accident.
If you are injured in a Pennsylvania hotel slip and fall accident, you need to understand the steps to take to protect your right to receive full compensation for your injuries.
Steps to Take After Falling at a Hotel
Falls can result in catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. Even less severe injuries such as fractures, neck injuries, and broken bones can result in long-term chronic pain and limited range of motion. In short, any hotel slip and fall accident can change your life forever. You have the potential for sustaining permanent disabilities when you fall at a hotel.
If you do fall while staying at or visiting a hotel, take these steps to protect your rights:
- Immediately Report the Fall to Management — You must protect your right to file a claim by reporting your fall. Even if you don’t believe you are seriously injured, you need to request the manager file an accident report. Before you leave, obtain a copy of the report to verify the details are correct.
- See a Physician — You must see a doctor as soon as possible for your health, well-being, and your accident claim. To recover compensation, you must document your injuries. Some injuries may not present symptoms for several hours or days. It is always best to see a doctor immediately for treatment. You protect your health, and you avoid an insurance adjuster arguing your injuries are not as severe as you claim because you did not bother to see a doctor for weeks after your fall.
- Don’t Provide Statements — You do not have to provide a statement, other than a very summary for the accident report, to the insurance adjuster, an attorney, or another representative for the hotel. It is not in your best interest to provide a written or recorded statement without discussing your case with an attorney. You could say something that sounds very innocent to you, but that could give the other side enough information to deny your accident claim. Call us first!
- Gather Evidence — If possible, snap pictures of the accident scene as it was at the time of your fall. Ask witnesses for their names and contact information and preserve your clothing and shoes as evidence.
- Contact a Slip and Fall Attorney — You need to focus on your health and your recovery. Your attorney will focus on proving the hotel was at fault for your accident. For instance, your attorney can act quickly to request copies of the surveillance tapes before they are lost or destroyed. In addition, the attorney can investigate other accidents to determine if there is a pattern.
Call an Erie Hotel Slip and Fall Attorney
You need to follow your doctor’s instructions, rest and recuperate. Let our attorneys handle the legal “stuff” involved in proving the hotel is liable for your damages.
Contact The Travis Law Firm toll-free at (800) 401-2066 to schedule a free legal consultation with one of our attorneys.