After a car accident, the insurance company for the other driver may contact you regarding your injuries. The claims adjuster might ask you if you retained an attorney. If you ask the adjuster if you need an attorney, he may say no. The answer the claims adjuster should give you is that it is your right to consult with an accident lawyer regarding your accident claim.
You have the right to have an accident lawyer review your claim and give you advice regarding your rights. In most cases, it is in your best interest to talk to a personal injury attorney. The insurance claims adjuster does not represent you. He represents the insurance company. Your best interests and the insurance company’s best interest are at odds. Therefore, trusting that the insurance company will treat you fairly could be a costly mistake.
Why Do You Need to Hire An Accident Lawyer?
An accident lawyer acts in your best interest, which is exactly what you need as you are struggling to recover from accident injuries. You do not need to worry about fighting the insurance company for the compensation you deserve. You need to worry about healing form your injuries.
Hiring an attorney soon after your accident allows your attorney to investigate the car accident before evidence disappears. Hiring an attorney quickly also helps you avoid making mistakes or errors that could hurt your injury claim.
The benefits of hiring an injury lawyer include:
- Receive legal advice regarding your rights and your claim;
- Has the skills, resources, and experience necessary to investigate an accident;
- Identifies the parties responsible for causing the crash;
- Reviews insurance coverage and determines liability;
- Gathers evidence proving fault and damages;
- Retains experts, if necessary, to help prove fault and calculate future damages;
- Files an insurance claim and negotiates with the insurance company; and,
- Prepares and files a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary.
Throughout the case, your attorney also provides support and guidance. Handling a car accident claim can be overwhelming, especially if this is the first time you have dealt with an insurance claim. Having someone who understands the process to answer your questions can relieve a great deal of stress and anxiety.
Signs That You Need To Hire A Lawyer After a Traffic Accident
Even though you know you are not at fault, some factors can complicate a car accident claim. If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you should strongly consider talking to an attorney:
- Is the insurance company blaming you for the accident?
- Did the insurance adjuster say that you contributed to the cause of the accident or the severity of your injuries?
- Did you sustain a permanent impairment or disability?
- Was a child injured in the accident?
- Did the accident involve a commercial truck or government vehicle?
- Were there multiple vehicles involved in the accident?
- Is the insurance company refusing to investigate the crash or delaying settlement?
- Did the accident involve a drunk driver?
If you have any doubts about your car accident claim, it is best to speak with an attorney. Since we offer free case reviews, there is no reason to delay talking to an accident lawyer.
Contact Our Erie Car Accident Attorney for More Information
Learn more about how we can help you fight the insurance company for fair compensation after a car accident. Call The Travis Law Firm at (800) 401-2066 to schedule your free legal consultation with our Erie car accident lawyer.